Saturday, April 11, 2009

Rah, Rah, Rah.


So I was thinking today...What qualifies one to cheer for a certain college sports team? The thing is, I don't think you can cheer for a team because you like their colors or because a friend you know goes/went there.
I have come up with my qualifications. You can cheer for a specific team if you fit into the categories below:
1. You go/went to the school.
2. A direct relative (spouse/parent/brother/sister, etc.) goes/went to the school. Parents who attended there is a much better reason than a sibling since you probably grew up watching that certain team.
3. That school did something great for you personally. Examples include, but are not limited to: giving you an award, hiring you to work there, or involving you in events/programs that they have often.
4. A direct relative works there. (Again, don't stray far from the DIRECT relations.)
5. You grew up attending their games often. (OFTEN is the key word here and this is still questionable...)

Every other reason is simply no good. You are not allowed, in my measuring, to cheer for a team if you do not meet one or more of the former qualifications. Anyone have their own qualifications? Thoughts?

P.S. Go Hogs!! And Belmont!!!
P.S.S. I hate the saying "rah, rah!" since it died with the old, spectator cheerleading.

3 comments:

  1. Ok, my qualification is this: if the team would not want you cheering for them, you aren't allowed. So, I guess I disagree with all of your qualifications. I grew up in a very rural area that had few sports teams. Fortunately, my parents are from the east coast, which is plentiful with teams to cheer. So, we cheer for the Virginia Tech Hokies (where my dad went)...but what about all those people who started cheering for VT after the shootings? I say, "come on in!!" (unless you are one of those crazed fans who is an embarrassment to the team)

    so yes, the embarrassment factor is the only qualification I have.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! But would this require a "embarrassment" test where the team views its fans and kicks out the crazies? If so, this could be a fun, but extensive process!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Go HOGS!!!!! WOOOOO PIGGGG SOIEEEE!!!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6djsdAbqvY

    ReplyDelete